Friday 5 August 2016

Egg and Cress Pizza

Morbid thinking I know, but if ever I was on death row, my last meal would be, without doubt, a traditional afternoon tea! There’s nothing I don’t enjoy about this three-tiered slice of heaven: from the beautifully crafted cakes (which are masterpieces in their own right), to the generous sized-scones served with gloopy cream and jam. And the staple of any high tea should be the dainty selection of finger sandwiches all washed down with a brew of your choosing! So this is my homage to the best culinary invention to date, and a nod to my favourite sandwich filling. N.B. Only to be enjoyed with a cuppa… obviously.


To make the base for this pizza, please click here.

Ingredients:
300g egg mayonnaise
200g spinach leaves
Sprinkling of cress

Method:
  1. When the bases have finished proving and you’ve taken them out, turn the oven to 210°C.
  2. This pizza recipe is slightly different from most of my other ones as I’ve found that with the toppings I’m using, it’s actually better cold. When the oven has reached the required temperature, bake the bases (with no topping) for 10 minutes.
  3. This leaves enough time to wilt the spinach. Tip the leaves into a saucepan with a dash of boiling water and cover with the lid. Over a low hob, heat the spinach until wilted and then drain using a colander. Try to remove as much liquid as possible to avoid a soggy bottom…
  4. When the bases have been baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
  5. Now the egg mayonnaise can be spread over and topped with the wilted spinach and a sprinkling of cress. Less delicate that a finger sandwich maybe, but no less delicious!
  6. Buon appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment